- 0 student
- 1 lessons
- 0 quizzes
- 5 week duration
Chemical Kinetics (30 Hrs)
- Unit 1 Introduction to kinetics, rate law, integrated rate expression for first order, second order, zero order. Pseudo order reactions.
- Unit2 Theories of reaction rates: Collision theory, kinetic theory of collisions, steric factor, potential energy surfaces. Conventional transition state theory, thermodynamic formulation of the reaction rate-Eyring equation. Comparison of the two theories. Significance of ΔG≠, ΔH≠ and ΔS≠, volume of activation. Effect of pressure and volume on velocity of gas reactions. Unimolecular reactions: Lindemann- Hinshelwood mechanism, qualitative idea of RRKM theory.
- Unit 3 Chain reactions: Chain initiation processes, steady state treatment, kinetics of H2-Cl2and H2-Br2 reactions, Rice-Herzfeld mechanism for decomposition of ethane and acetaldehyde, Goldfingr-Letort-Niclause rules, branching chains, Semenov-Hinshelwood mechanism of branching chains, upper and lower explosion limits, the H2-O2 reaction, kinetics of step growth, free radical, cationic and anionic polymerization reactions.
- Unit 4 Fast reactions: Relaxation, flow and shock methods, flash photolysis, NMR and ESR methods of studying fast reactions.
- Unit 5 Reactions in solution: Factors determining reaction rates in solutions, effect of dielectric constant and ionic strength, cage effect, Bronsted-Bjerrum equation, primary and secondary kinetic salt effect.
- Unit6 Acid-base catalysis: Specific and general catalysis, Skrabal diagram, Bronsted catalysis law, prototropic and protolytic mechanism with examples, acidity function. Enzyme catalysis and its mechanism, Michelis-Menten equation, effect of pH and temperature on enzyme catalysis.
- Unit 7 Introduction to oscillating chemical reactions: autocatalysis, autocatalytic mechanism of oscillating reactions, the Lotka-Volterra mechanism, the brusselator, the oreganator, bistability.
Unit 1-Lecture 1
This lecture deals with basics of kinetics. There are two videos in this section. The first video describes about the rate of reaction, rate constant, its unit and differentiation between order and molecularity of a reaction. The second video mentions about integrated rate expression, pseudo order reaction and different methods adopted for determining order of the reaction.
0.00 average based on 0 ratings